“They cannot stop me. I will get my education, if it is in the home, school or any place” – Malala Yousafzai
Over the last few years children have had periods of time where they have had to continue their education from home. If this is the case the school will continue to use Google Classroom and instructions will be sent out from the school office through ParentMail. Please find detailed below a few resources which can also be used to help your children continue their learning journey along with information about keeping them safe online.
General Resources for Remote Learning –
Staying Safe Online
From the beginning of 2020 children have had occasion to work at home. Many have used Google Classroom and other online resources to carry out their studies whilst remote learning. We have previously sent information about some of the dangers that children might face online and ask now, that parents continue to be vigilant about this in the case that children need to work from home. In this event…
- Ensure that your child has a quiet place to work
- Make sure you know what your child is doing online and think about filters to protect them https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/parental-controls/
- Check that if classes are live that your child is dressed appropriately and ready on time
- Think about what others can see in the background if your child has a camera on his or her devise
- Talk to your children about what they should do if they come across worrying or upsetting content. Hopefully they will talk to you about it or they can report directly to Child Line 0800 1111 or online to CEOP (https://www.ceop.police.uk/ceop-reporting/)
- Think about the ‘Appropriate Use’ agreement and encourage your child to post thoughtfully
- Have a look at https://www.bbc.com/ownit if your child feels anxious about online issues. It’s also a good place for parents to learn more about the online world from a child’s perspective.